Are you looking for a fully-funded summer internship program in the horticulture industry? Look no further. Loma Vista Nursery offers a paid summer internship at our container facility in Ottawa, KS. Loma Vista Nursery stands for growth through education for our customer, our team and our industry, so we are dedicated to helping get new generations involved in this field that we care so much about. Below we will outline what out program looks like, the program benefits, and how to apply.
Our Summer Internship Program
Loma Vista cares about mentoring our interns to achieve practical knowledge to complement their theoretical course work and ultimately to become informed and active members of the horticulture industry someday. Our interns spend the summer learning every aspect of our operations including, but not limited to, propagation, plant health, production, marketing and communications, shipping, quality control, accounting, irrigation, and more. They will shadow members of each team while rotating through our various departments.
As the summer goes on, interns will eventually narrow down their focus on one aspect of the nursery they want to specialize in such as nursery production, plant health, marketing and communications, and perennial production. On top of learning the ins-and-outs of the nursery, we also supplement their horticulture education by setting up tours with our local customers and sending them to the Cultivate conference in Ohio, which is the largest trade show and conference in this industry.By the end of the summer, our interns have the majority of skills and knowledge in regards to working in the horticulture industry.
Our internship is primarily geared towards sophomores to seniors in college, so we want to make this prestigious internship as convenient as possible for them. Here are the benefits our program offers:
1. Fully-funded: This is a paid internship! We value the hard work our interns do on the nursery, so we give them an hourly wage.
2. Provided housing: We want to make it easy for our interns to come down and spend the summer with us, so we supply housing for them here in Ottawa, Kansas.
3. Flexible start and end dates: Every college is on a different calendar, and we do not want different time constraints to impede our interns’ ability to work with us. Generally, our interns get here sometime in mid to late May and leave some time in August.
4. Opportunity to attend Cultivate: Like we mentioned before, for interns who fulfill our internship requirements, we will send them to the Cultivate conference in Ohio that takes place in July.
5. College credit: If the college an intern attends allows for them to get college credit for internships, which many do, we will work with the college to meet all of the necessary requirements for our program to count for course credit.
6. Volunteer project: Each summer, we find one project in the Ottawa community for the interns to plan and execute. The last two summers we have had the interns re-design the plant beds at the Old Depot Museum in Ottawa with plants we donated.
Ready to apply for the best internship of your life? Here’s what you need to do. Send a cover letter and resume to:
Attention: Leanne Follett
Phone: 785-229-7200 x105
Address: Loma Vista Nursery, Inc. 1107 E. 23rd Street Ottawa Kansas, 66067
If you want to learn more about the program, please head to our careers page here: Career Page.
If you want to see what our 2019 summer interns were up to, check out their blog post here: 2019 Internship Blog.
Connect with us!
Stay up-to-date on our plant recommendations, growing tips, and more by following us on social media.